Where's the birth certificate

Free and Strong America

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Selective enforcement

As if they didnt have better things to do, Montreal's Bureau du taxi is fining an elderly, culturally Jewish taxi driver the equivalent of $1,400 USD for displaying religious items in his cab. The article states that......
"Mr. Perecowicz says he's not especially religious, but he's comforted by having articles of his Jewish faith in the car, including photos of the late Lubavitcher spiritual leader and two mezuzahs affixed to the car frame between the front and back doors. (A mezuzah, typically affixed to doorframes of Jewish homes, is a tiny prayer parchment that, according to Jewish beliefs, offers protection.)
"I am secular but I do have roots and a culture," he said. "These items mean something to me and that's why I've always had them in my car."
As for the photos of his wife, daughter and son, Mr. Perecowicz says he spends 15 hours a day in his cab. "What's the point of putting photos in an album? I don't have time to look in an album. I'm away from home all day. This is my home." "
It's sad that it has come to this. Am I the only one who believes that if instead of Jewish symbols, a Muslim star and cresent were openly displayed that the Bureau de taxi would not be nearly as quick to slap a fine on him?

1 comment:

Tracy said...

No you're not the only one! As I was reading about this poor taxi driver, besides being outraged, I was thinking the same thing.